Petite with an eye-catching bright green skin, SHILOH FARMS Organic Mung Beans are an exceptionally nutritious, versatile legume closely related to adzuki beans and cowpeas. Their slightly sweet flavor makes them well-suited to both savory and sweet applications. Mung beans can be used whole or split and hulled, and they are a great legume for sprouting (in fact, if you've ever had bean sprouts on a salad or sandwich, you've probably already been eating mung beans!)
Mung beans are easy to digest (they do not generally create abdominal gas or bloating the way some other beans do) and are extremely high in protein, fiber, and iron. They are also a good source of potassium, calcium, magnesium, and B vitamins.
Native to Southeast Asia, mung beans are a staple in India, China, and other regional cuisines, where they are used in sweet soups, curries, pancakes, and even desserts!
To Cook: Mung beans do not require pre-soaking, but you should sort and rinse them thoroughly before cooking. Bring 1 part beans and 3 parts water to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed and the beans are tender.
To Sprout: Cover 1 part raw mung beans with 3 parts water and soak overnight. Rinse and drain 2 to 3 times daily for 3-4 days, or until sprouts reach desired length. Get additional tips for sprouting beans on our blog.
1. Combine cooked beans with rice or other grains to make khichari.
2. Use them in place of lentils or split peas for soups, stews, curries, or casseroles.
3. Puree cooked beans with spices (turmeric, cumin, ginger, & coriander are good options) to make a spread for toast.
4. Mashed beans can be used as a thickener for stews or gravies.
5. Grind raw beans into flour to be used to make crepes or flatbreads; or, add a little to your other baked goods for a protein & fiber boost.
6. Add sprouts to stir-fries, spring rolls, or other Asian dishes.
7. Top salads with sprouts (or try adding them to potato salad!)
8. Sprouts add crunch and flavor to sandwiches and wraps.
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Certified Kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision (www.www.kof-k.org)
Packaged as part of a naturally gluten free rotation in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, & tree nuts. The equipment and surrounding areas are carefully cleaned between rotations, as well as tested to 20 ppm before the naturally gluten free rotation begins. However, Shiloh Farms is not testing or certifying any product as gluten free. Please use your own discretion in determining whether this product is safe for your consumption. Read about our cleaning processes & procedures here.
This product may contain agricultural debris; sort before cooking.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Organic Mung Beans
Gluten-Free | Kosher | Non GMO | Organic
Write a Review and earn $1.00 worth of points. (Review must be approved by GFM staff before points are awarded)
Please check the Reward Point Program FAQ for more information.