It takes a lot of time and effort to produce SHILOH FARMS Raw Alfalfa Honey, but most of it isn't on our part. Thank the honey bee, one of the hardest working little creatures there is. Honey bees travel a distance equivalent to three times around the Earth to fill a single jar, tapping over 2 million flowers along the way. At Shiloh Farms, we respect this fantastic process and work to preserve the natural qualities inherent in our Raw Alfalfa Honey by leaving it unfiltered, unheated, and unpasteurized. This is honey straight from the hive – wholesome sweetness as nature intended.
SHILOH FARMS Raw Alfalfa Honey has a mild, pleasant flavor that makes it an ideal everyday honey. Spread it, blend it, or use it as a sweetener in any recipe – one ingredient, a multitude of possibilities!
What is Raw Honey?
Raw honey is honey that is extracted directly from the honeycomb and processed naturally - without filtering, heating, or pasteurization. This ensures that the live enzymes that exist in the comb remain intact and unaffected. In addition to these enzymes, raw honey contains a variety of minerals, vitamins, and amino acids. Its flavonoids and phenolic acids act as antioxidants, scavenging and eliminating free radicals.
Because of its many healthful properties, SHILOH FARMS Raw Alfalfa Honey is one of the best choices among sweeteners. Popularly used in place of sugar for baking, honey can also be used to emulsify sauces, provide moisture to baked goods, and balance other flavors in a dish. Due to its natural preservative qualities, honey even helps to keep baked goods fresher longer!
1. Honey has higher sweetening power than sugar, meaning less is required achieve the same level of sweetness. We suggest substituting 1/2 cup honey for every 1 cup granulated sugar called for in a recipe.
2. Reduce any liquid called for by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey used.
3. Add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for each cup of honey used.
4. To prevent over-browning, reduce oven temperature by 25°F.
Beyond its many baking and culinary uses, honey also has a number of medicinal and practical applications:
1. Honey is proven to be a natural throat soother, coating the throat and relieving irritation
2. Rich in carbohydrates, honey provides an energy boost and staves off fatigue
3. A humectant (meaning it retains moisture), honey can be used to create a variety of homemade moisturizing creams, conditioners, and cleansers
Non-GMO Statement: SHILOH FARMS sources its Raw Alfalfa Honey from Saskatchewan Canada, where the bees forage on Non-GMO Alfalfa. At this time, there are no GMO alfalfa varieties commercially available in this region of Canada, but we are keeping abreast of the situation and will inform you of any changes.
1. Store honey at room temperature.
2. Antiseptic, antibiotic, antifungal, and antibacterial, honey never spoils! However, while honey stored in sealed containers can remain stable for decades, it tends to darken and lose its aroma and flavor after 2-3 years.
Country of Origin: Canada
Ingredients - Raw Alfalfa Honey (may contain trace amounts of Clover and Sunflower)
Write a Review and earn $1.00 worth of points. (Review must be approved by GFM staff before points are awarded)
Please check the Reward Point Program FAQ for more information.